Re: Splitting up the spec

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:57:09 -0500
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Ian wrote:
> I don't know why there is such an obsession over the browser. There are
> plenty of other UAs for which this work makes sense, like search engines,
> data mining tools, validators, authoring tools, etc.

For the markup, yes.

For Workers, or Offline Web Applications, or Server-Sent Events, or
the Window object ... much less so.  Which is precisely why there is
such a push to split some of them.

If the HTML spec were the same size as the XML:ID spec, most people
wouldn't worry.  But the HTML5 spec is large enough that we should be
looking for things that *can* be split off, instead of just things
that don't fit.  Parts that apply to only some spec users are good
candidates.  And most of those parts apply to the browser.