Re: Why "Platform Core" and "HTML5" are in the same spec

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:54:02 -0800
To: Nikunj Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

> I do not agree the proposed split of the sections currently in HTML5 and
> my previous communication [2] puts that on record. I am willing to edit
> SQL, offline application cache as well as server sent events, but you
> would not separate them from other parts of the "Platform Core" in which
> I have little experience.

For the record I think it'd be great to get those parts split out. The
one caveat is that offline application cache depends on browsing context
spec which currently lives in HTML5. I don't think that is a unsolvable
problem though, we just have to be ok with having a dependence on the
HTML5 spec (something which has caused controversy in the past).

I'd also say that a separate SQL interface belongs more more in the
webapps WG, so ideally you would have to join that WG.

If you truly are serious about taking these parts on, and the group is
ok with it, I'd love to see some drafts. However an absolute requirement
for me is that some of the process that Hixie is using is followed. Such
as keeping editor drafts open, ensuring that the specs don't break
existing deployed code (which now exists for the offline app cache), and
that feedback from implementors are taken into account.

/ Jonas