Re: An HTML language specification

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:43:43 -0500
To: public-html@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
> Your definition of "go away" is implementation dependent.  Consider a
> (admittedly very inefficient) implementation which rewrote the byte
> stream and then reparsed it after a document.write().

This implementation would be not only inefficient but also incorrect.
Consider the a document being loaded in a subframe which contains:

   <script>
     parent.nonIdempotentMethod();
     document.write("I wrote something");
   </script>

> The old document is the one before document.write() happened.  The new
> one is the document after.

That approach (per above) is not compatible with the way you actually
have to parse if you're executing scripts....

-Boris