Re: An HTML language specification

On 18 Nov 2008, at 15:11, Mark Baker wrote:

> I skimmed through WF2 forms and certainly saw that a lot of
> declarative features are defined in terms of the DOM, e.g. "output",
> but that just seems an editorial convenience - or perhaps more
> accurately, that as Web & former browser developer, you're just
> reusing a tool that you're very familiar with.  I see no reason why it
> couldn't be defined completely independently of the DOM.

What do we gain by defining it independently from the DOM though? We
would end up with a longer spec (in all probability) for what I see as
little gain. There is nothing in HTML5 that requires a DOM to be used,
but spec readers en masse are used to the DOM (as opposed to any other
object model we could come up with, as we generally need one seeming
we're dealing with a format with multiple serializations), so defining
it in terms of the DOM seems to simplify the spec for everyone.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>