Re: Comments on HTML WG face to face meetings in France Oct 08

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:36:24 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> It's working OK for CSS so far, no?  It's working OK for HTML4 (modulo
> interop problems due to everything being undefined).

No, it isn't. CSS parsing is a colossal mess in which many stylesheets
depend on specific bugs in specific versions of specific browsers.

The inability of vendors to correctly implement the much simpler CSS
parsing rules makes me wonder whether we have any hope that they will
correctly implement the far more complex HTML 5 parsing algorithm.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA