Re: "HTML: The Markup Language" (draft attempt an "HTML producers" spec)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:25:10 -0500
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Nice work, Michael.

2008/11/13 Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>:

> During our face-to-face joint meeting with the W3C TAG in
> Mandelieu, a large part of our discussion with the TAG[1]
> concerned the idea of producing a separate normative spec for
> HTML5 that defined just the syntax, structure, and semantics of
> the language for "producers" of HTML content (people/authors and
> applications, such as editors and content management systems, that
> produce HTML content)

That's certainly an important scenario, but IMO it's not the only one
that a language specification should accommodate.  IMO, it should also
prescribe how a consumer can reconstruct the meaning of the document
given the bag-o-bits (and a media type).  For that to happen, the HTML
5 parser specification would need to be included.

Cheers,

Mark.