Re: "HTML: The Markup Language" (draft attempt an "HTML producers" spec)

Michael(tm) Smith wrote:

> During our face-to-face joint meeting with the W3C TAG in
> Mandelieu, a large part of our discussion with the TAG[1]
> concerned the idea of producing a separate normative spec for
> HTML5 that defined just the syntax, structure, and semantics of
> the language for "producers" of HTML content

Wonderful. I argued a while back that all that all those parsing
rules ought to be stripped out into another specification. The HTML5
draft defines way too much to be user-friendly to the vast majority
of its audience who are not browser vendors.

HTML5 should define syntax rules, elements, attributes and entities.

DOM5 (or perhaps DOM4 if skipping a version number was looked down
upon) should be a separate document defining the DOM side of HTML5.

All the SQLite storage stuff, most of chapter 4 should be split out
as a "Window Object spec".

A "HTML5 Browser" spec should be put together, including HTML5
parsing rules, and normatively referencing the above three specs, as
well as ECMAScript, CSS 2.1/3, PNG and perhaps a few other useful specs.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>