Re: heads-up about "new" URLs section in HTML5 editor's draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:07:52 +0200
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

Mark Baker wrote:
> RFC 3986 doesn't define URL, so there's no problem from that POV.  But

   "... The
    term "Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URIs
    that, in addition to identifying a resource, provide a means of
    locating the resource by describing its primary access mechanism
    (e.g., its network "location")...." --
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.1.3>

> I do think a lot of implementers might make the mistake of assuming
> that html5:URL == rfc3986:URI, and, say, reuse URI libraries when they
> should be using an HTML-aware one.

Yes.

> Somebody suggested "HTML URL" on uri@w3.org - I think that's a better
> option because its makes the distinction more apparent.

So far that's the best candidate I have heard of.

BR, Julian