Re: expected results for URI encoding tests?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:05:02 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Dan Connolly wrote:
> The present design looks pretty fragile and complex; the cost
> of everybody dealing with it going forward would seem to be
> higher than the cost of breaking the pages that depend on it...
> but maybe not... authors and developers of new stuff can
> avoid the complexity by sticking to utf-8, I suppose. Hmm.

Well, sort of. Of course it seems to be a good idea anyway to encode
pages in UTF-8. However, there may be reasons not to (Asian languages
anyone???), and at least in theory some intermediate could recode the
page (it's a text/* mime type after all).

Page producers always can avoid problems for the HTML URLs they send by
using percent-escaped UTF-8, making the "HTML URLs" proper RFC3986 (all
ASCII) URIs.

It gets really interesting only with form submission, where it's the
browser that's constructing the query part. I really wish we had a way
to force the browser to use UTF-8, *no matter* what the page encoding
is. And no, for now that doesn't need to be a default. An opt-in, such
as a new attribute on the form element, could be totally sufficient for now.

BR, Julian