Re: Fundamental assumptions (Was: SVGWG SVG-in-HTML proposal)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> But if you allow your personal opinions on consensus to interfere with
> W3C process, then I afraid that this will be interpreted by many (myself
> included) as evidence that you are unfit to serve as Editor, and I
> imagine that this might then lead to calls for you to be replaced.

If you wish to replace me, please let the chairs know. I have no intention
of developing HTML5 based on consensus, and will continue to base
decisions on the weight of technical arguments without regard to the
number of people who hold opinions and without attempting to wait for
everyone to agree on a topic before moving forward. I certainly won't put
the W3C process above bringing the Web forward to the best of my ability,
whatever that may be. I have been very clear about this since well before
I was appointed co-editor in the W3C HTMLWG.

I imagine that if people didn't agree with my position on this matter, I
would not have been voted into this role in the first place. If people
have since changed their minds, I do encourage them to contact the chairs.
I would be happy to step down as W3C HTML WG co-editor.

> Now, as to timescale.  You wrote

> and you were clearly asserting here that a delay of six months would be
> significant.

I was just saying it would take at least 6 months. I'm pretty verbose.
There's really no reason to read between the lines of what I write. If I'd
meant to say that it would be a significant delay, that's what I would
have said.