Re: cite element not for people's names?

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:12:37 +0100
Cc: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>

Le 20 févr. 2008 à 13:04, James Graham a écrit :
> To me the difference is that tables have a clear use case and impose
> specific requirements on a variety of classes of UA. On the other
> hand, I'm not sure what the benefit of using <cite> is except a
> feeling that one is using "semantic" markup. Serious machine-
> readable citations will require considerably more machinery;
> something like hCite [1].
>
> [1] http://microformats.org/wiki/citation

Oh yes depending on the circumstances and the use cases, there will be
needs for more specialized vocabularies. That's true for almost
everything. You cite tables for example. There is a stretch between a
simple table and a full spreadsheet application.  It's why we are
here, trying to find something which satisfies communities and usages
in a reasonable way and that will be implemented.

If I say I need it. It will certainly not be enough to convince you.
There's a question of balance. My previous messages are still input.
Another way to deal with it is to have a more flexible extension
mechanism, which helps people to build applications like microformats,
RDFa, etc.

There is always a way to do things. Some are a bit harder than others.
Some people are fans of videos, some others are fan of texts. ;) each
community has its own pet project.

More input

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Sep/0265.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/whatwg@lists.whatwg.org/msg04074.html