Re: cite element not for people's names?

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:04:58 +0000
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
CC: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 20 févr. 2008 à 12:13, James Graham a écrit :
>> A summary of the feedback given on <cite>, together with the rationale
>> for the change is in [1].
>> [1]
>> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-February/014008.html
>>

> I haven't seen a lot of rationale, but mostly personal opinions given by
> the specification editor. I guess a study of the patterns like the
> excellent work done on tables would be very useful.

To me the difference is that tables have a clear use case and impose specific
requirements on a variety of classes of UA. On the other hand, I'm not sure what
the benefit of using <cite> is except a feeling that one is using "semantic"
markup. Serious machine-readable citations will require considerably more
machinery; something like hCite [1].

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/citation