Re: About video & audio elements

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Nicolas LE GALL wrote:

> - Is there any DRM support planned ? (I'm not asking for all video/audio
> to be signed, but I know a bunch of company who will prefer some
> proprietary technologies like Flash and his H.264 codec who support DRM
> than a semantic element which improve their Google rating)

<video> will not have any built-in DRM support.

> - What about multi-tracks files ? (For instance a video with a French
> and English audio tracks and German and Japanese subtitles)

This is supported if the media format supports it. No API exists currently
to expose this to script, however.

> - In a search engine way of thinking, and still for these multi-tracks
> files, how could we parse an HTML document to get all the availables
> tracks (maybe a available-audio attribute ?)

Right now there is no way to do this other than actually examining the
media files.

> - In a browser vendor way of thinking, load the prefered tracks for the
> user (after he selected his prefered listening/reading languages in his
> browser's prefs)

The user agent would be expected to remember the user's language
preferences and select the preferred track from the media resource.

> - What about the HD (and a low quality alternate link) ?

The type="" and media="" attribute on <source> should be able to provide
you with a mechanism to expose multiple variants. Media Queries maybe
needs to be extended to support a way to indicate support for HD.

> - Chapters could be a good idea (in association with the JS API, we
> could make some in-line links to skip to the correct chapter)

Yeah, this will probably be added in the next update to the API. Right now
we're waiting for the implementations to catch up with what we have
specced already before adding more features.

HTH,