Re: The alt="" attribute

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:53:47 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

 > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
 >>> If you honestly think that there is any way that image upload sites
 >>> will ever have suitable replacement text for the majority of their
 >>> images, then I don't know what to tell you. It just won't happen.
 >> Evidence evidence evidence.  Enough of opinions and hypotheses, please.
 >
 > If you honestly don't think there is any evidence of that,

It's not a question of "thinking", Ian; you keep making
assertions, and I am asking for evidence rather than
conjecture.

 > then instead
 > consider the other cases that I mentioned as being affected by the same
 > problem (e.g. Webcams, fractal explorers, Google Street View) where the
 > image data is collected in an automated fashion, and therefore there is
 > not a user to ask for the replacement text from.

I see no problem with providing ALT text for any
of these ("The new lecture theatre at Royal
Holloway, University of London (UK), seen from
outside the Computer Centre, 10:20 on Sunday
24th February 2008"; "A graphical image of
the Julia set for f_c, c=(φ−2)+(φ−1), i =-0.4+0.6i";
"The northbound carriageway at 1767 Sacramento
Street, Albuquerque, New Mexico : 12:47 on
Thursday 14th April 2007").

What problems do you see ?

Philip TAYLOR