RE: The alt="" attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:34:07 +0000 (UTC)
To: John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, 'W3C WAI-XTECH' <wai-xtech@w3.org>

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, John Foliot wrote:

> The second comment concerns the alternative delivery methods proposed:
> you cite @title, <legend> or heading as being the carriers that provide
> the contextual information.  I would suggest that @longdesc also be
> included in that list (the usefulness of @longdesc not yet being
> disproven ) as well as @caption, and I am curious why other methods
> (such as perhaps @role, or the ARIA labeledby/describedby) could not
> also be added to the list - providing as many options as possible to
> content authors allows for a more granular solution and makes it
> "easier" for content authors to be conformant - clearly a stated goal
> for HTML5.

The ARIA features are actually included in the list in a comment right
now, I'm waiting for the ARIA spec to be better defined before going
further with that. I don't think <caption> makes sense in this context,
since it is explicitly captioning the table and not the image, but it has
been suggested that maybe appropriate table headers could be used, and I
will be looking at that shortly. longdesc="" would definitely be added to
this list if it were in the draft; its presence is another issue that I
will deal with separately. Another idea was <fieldset> <legend>, which I
will also be looking at.

Cheers,