Re: The alt="" attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:20:44 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> > If you honestly think that there is any way that image upload sites
> > will ever have suitable replacement text for the majority of their
> > images, then I don't know what to tell you. It just won't happen.
>
> Evidence evidence evidence.  Enough of opinions and hypotheses, please.

If you honestly don't think there is any evidence of that, then instead
consider the other cases that I mentioned as being affected by the same
problem (e.g. Webcams, fractal explorers, Google Street View) where the
image data is collected in an automated fashion, and therefore there is
not a user to ask for the replacement text from.