RE: meta content-language

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@amazon.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:06:46 -0700
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
CC: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>

> > In any case, all of the http-equiv attributes are defined by HTTP.
> > That is its definition in HTML.
>
> It's not the definition in HTML5 as drafted.

I think the point is that it should be.

RFC 2616 Section 14.12 is pretty clear, as is RFC 3282. Making the HTML5 definition different is not a "service to the community".

I do support having the pragma, but it should have the meaning defined by RFC 2616 and (normatively) it should be consistent with the RFCs *and nothing more*. If Frontpage or Vignette or whatever want to do something useful with the information, bully for them. But don't set the page processing language by fiat or change the allowed format/values.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.