HTML5 URL vs. IRI vs. URI...

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@amazon.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:59:20 -0700
To: "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
(on behalf of the I18N Core WG)

During a recent discussion of this thread, our working group noted that Section 2.5.1 defines the term "valid URL" using four bullet points. The third bullet point says:

--
The URL is a valid IRI reference and its query component contains no unescaped non-ASCII characters.
--

This definition isn't quite complete. "Non-ASCII characters" can be escaped in lots of ways using a wide variety of character encodings. You should mention the use of UTF-8 to escape non-ASCII characters or (better?) reference section 3.1 of IRI (3987).

[We are still discussing the response to the main part of the thread.]

Addison

Addison Phillips
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.