Re: meta content-language

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:55:45 +0300
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>

On Aug 21, 2008, at 22:46, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2008, at 11:57 PM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Is there software that acts on the HTTP header or meta Content-
>> Language in the sense "This is a document for people who read both
>> English and French"? What does software acting on that meaning do?
>
> That is the definition for the header field Content-Language, which is
> what is referred to by META http-equiv, and yes it is used by some
> content management systems as a means for authors to define metadata
> that will be returned by HTTP in a response and/or used in content
> negotiation to choose the most appropriate representation.

How is it used in content negotiation so that software *acts on* it
(as opposed to acting on something else and outputting the outcome in
HTTP Content-Language)?

> WGN is
> one of the HTTP servers that works that way by default, though I don't
> know if anyone uses it now.  Apache can do that via modules.

Do WGN and Apache use Content-Language as the input for a decision?

> In any case, all of the http-equiv attributes are defined by HTTP.
> That is its definition in HTML.

It's not the definition in HTML5 as drafted.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi