Re: GRDDL (and the rule of least power)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:16:47 +0300
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

-public-html +www-archive

On Aug 6, 2008, at 18:50, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 11:12 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how using XSLT 1.0 violates that finding (please
>>> elaborate);
>>
>> XSLT is in a more powerful language category than (scriptless) HTML
>> or
>> any of the notations for RDF triples.
>
> But XSLT is not being used to express hypertext documents
> nor RDF graphs; it is being used to express a transformation
> from one syntax to another.

The result is, though, that even if the program is a pure
transformation that doesn't have any additional data embedded into it,
the consumer gets the simple data only by executing the foreign program.

If I send a TIFF inside PostScript program that renders it, I'm
sending a bitmap in a sense, but the recipient still has to run a
foreign program to get it.

> GRDDL is only violating
> the rule of least power to the extent that it uses a
> turing-complete language where something simpler would do.

Isn't that all there is to violate about the rule?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi