Re: Extensibility strategies

Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote on 08/06/2008 06:50:36 AM:

> However, if an extension is meant to be potentially script-sensitive
> without browser-native support being a prerequisite, DOM consistency
> matters more across old browsers and new browsers, because neither old
> nor new browsers have the browser-native support for the feature.
> > Isn't it true that the <aside> element present in HTML5 produces
> > different DOMs with existing shipped versions of Firefox, Safari,
> > Opera, and IE?
> >
> Yes, for old enough values of existing.

My weblog is one of the few that use this tag, and I would assert that a
significant factor in that is that the current shipping versions of both IE
and Firefox won't produce correct DOMs and/or can't style such elements
correctly.  With Firefox, this can be addressed by using XHTML.  With IE,
this can be addressed via JavaScript.

- Sam Ruby