Re: Browser defaults should please the mass of authors

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:51:52 +0800
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Monday 2008-04-21 11:13 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I think this is a bad recommendation. Browser defaults should please the
> mass of *authors*. If this is in conflict with pleasing users, users should
> have to opt in by flipping a pref.

But users shouldn't have to become experts on which preferences to
modify in order to get the best experience on the Web.  We should
provide the best experience to new users as much as to experienced
ones; this helps keep the Web usable to the masses rather than just
experts.

(I have mixed feelings about the original issue, but I disagree with
your suggested alternative.)

-David