Browser defaults should please the mass of authors

On Apr 21, 2008, at 07:39, whatwg@whatwg.org wrote:

> Log:
> [c] (0) Allow _blank, but encourage UAs to not open new windows.
[...]
> +    <p>User agents are encouraged to default to being configured to
> always
> +     reuse the current browsing context, or to at least provide
> that option
> +     to the user.</p>

I think this is a bad recommendation. Browser defaults should please
the mass of *authors*. If this is in conflict with pleasing users,
users should have to opt in by flipping a pref.

If the mass of authors doesn't like the default, they'll work around
the defaults making it even harder for users to take counter measures.

Previous evidence:
  * Virtually everyone zaps the link border around images because it
is horribly ugly even if in theory it make linkness clearer to the user.
  * Some authors use JavaScript or CSS to get rid of focus indicators
because focus indicators deface their art.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi