Re: [html4all] Unready and social engineering Re: several messages about alt

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:50:13 +0300
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: HTML4All <list@html4all.org>

On Apr 14, 2008, at 15:33, Laura Carlson wrote:
> The fact is the W3C validator is currently used as a web
> accessibility teaching tool.
>
> How do I know that? I know that because I have my students use it in
> the classes that I teach in order to flag missing alt. It is a first
> step in getting that important *message* across

If you are teaching them about writing alt text, using a suboptimal
tool to find the missing alt instances is OK. (A proper tool for the
purpose would be one that showed images and their alt text side by
side for the evaluation of a sighted human operator, as it would let
the human operator also check that the present alt text isn't bogus.)

However, teaching that making a page validate makes it accessible is
not true. And we should avoid getting that bogus message across even
though that message would be simple and strong.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi