Re: [html4all] Unready and social engineering Re: several messages about alt

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:33:18 -0500
To: HTML4All <list@html4all.org>
Cc: "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Dannii <curiousdannii@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Josh wrote:

 Also as Chaals mentions validity is still only on the radar of a
> minority of developers but the *message* that validity is important
> and the tools such as validators have an impact on improving the web.
> Even thought the web is built on broken code. Also WCAG etc sets the
> *standard* by which accessibility compliance is judged, and of course
> many fall short but thats not so important as having a clear goal to
> aim for.

Exactly. The fact is the W3C validator is currently used as a web
accessibility teaching tool.

How do I know that? I know that because I have my students use it in
the classes that I teach in order to flag missing alt. It is a first
step in getting that important *message* across. One of their first
lessons is to validate HTML on the W3C site to be sure that it is
error-free and that they have indeed examined each alt.

Best Regards,
Laura