Re: HDP: Revised "Support Existing Content" Principle

From: Marghanita da Cruz <marghanita@ramin.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:41:43 +1000
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> aloha, maciej!
<snip>
> here is my proposed text again:
>
> "Browsers should retain support for residual/legacy markup designed for
> a specific purpose, such as accessibility. internationalization or device
> independence. Simply because new technologies and superior mechanisms
> have been identified, not all of them have been implemented. Moreover,
> disabled users are more likely to be users of "legacy technology" because
> it is the only technology that interacts correctly with third-party
> assistive technologies."
<snip>

I am not familiar with Assistive Technologies and from this paragraph am
unsure whether there is markup aimed specifically at Assistive Technologies
or whether the way a browser interprets markup enables assistive technologies.

However, I think I get the intent of covering this under the  "Supporting
Existing (pre-HTML5) Content Principle" but wondered if rephrasing it along the
following lines would be more consistent with the principles document.

"Some/Many Webpages include of markup which needs to be interpreted in a
specific way by Browsers (or directs browsers to behave in a particular way), to
enable the page to be translated/interpreted correctly by Assistive Technologies
such as screen readers. Examples of such markup are...."

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au