Re: Proposal for Keyboard Shortcuts for HTML5

Hi Maciej and Sander,

On Sep 22, 2007, at 2:07 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> [.... discussion of Maciej's character based proposal ...]

I read through these dialogs and I think Maciej's proposal is
entirely the wrong place to begin the conversation. The wiki proposal
deals with these issues in a much more complete deals than this
proposal. It allows for cascading, it allows for richer application
key bindings, etc. It lets the user remain in control of key
bindings. It allows authors a rich ability to assign key bindings.

I see very little in Maciej's proposal (other than the use of the
command element which I've now added to the wiki) that isn't handled
better by the proposal on the wiki.

Incidentally, on the issue of the command element, I'm still not
clear what this element does, and from the conversation i don't think
its clear to others as well. tried to start a conversation about the
proposed command element before, but no one has provided any use
cases for it. I think something like the select element would be more
familiar to authors and not reinvent the wheel, but I can't really
tell what the command element is adding so I can't say that
definitively.

No you say that the menu element takes command element. However, the
draft says that men elements take li elements, so I don't know how to
read that.  Its not clear to me how thee menu element gets associated
with the command element.

I think adding a key binding mechanism that supersedes the current
accesskey is a good idea, however, I think we should address many
more of the objections to accesskey than Maciej's proposal does. I
also think we shouldn't make HTML needlessly complicated by adding so
many redundant elements.

Take care,
Rob