Fwd: accesskey usage Re: Proposal for Keyboard Shortcuts for HTML5

On 9/21/07, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:44:53 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>
> > FWIW We have been doing some research into accesskey usage at Opera. I
> > hope that we will be able to publish enough information to make this
> > reproducible by anyone, but I can't promise anything yet. On a survey of
> > about a million pages, accesskey is used in about 1% of them

The problem is that accesskey doesn't appear in the document. It's
like having links that you can't see. Accesskey visibility is hidden.
Hiding tabindex works because authors can put there elements in order.
There's only 1 tab key, too.

You can't see what has a kbd shortcut or what that shortcut is.

I like underlining for accesskey. Windows uses that. Mac OS uses a
different approach that is also valid.

:accesskey {
    match: first-available | last-available | none;
    display: et c...
}

If accesskey were exposed to CSS, it would allow authors to provide a
more accessible accesskey. It wouldn't just be one of those annoying
things you have to do for 508.

I mentioned this on the CSS list several years ago that it would be
useful to have a selector for accesskey

Apparently, someone else took the concept into practice:
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/accesskeys/

But the problem is that the author still has the <u> tags there. The
other alternative would be a <span>, but it doesn't really belong
there either.

I really liked your progress events proposal; I'm looking forward to this one.

Garrett

--
Programming is a collaborative art.