Re: HDP: Revised "Support Existing Content" Principle

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:50:39 +0300
To: public-html@w3.org

On Sep 22, 2007, at 04:20, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
[...]
> Might not "Aim to be backwards compatible" ("as
> in "HTML5 aims to be as backwards compatible with HTML 4 as
> possible") be a
> more descriptive name for this principle?

I'm not sure if you meant the example sentence to reflect an actual
design principle intent but:

HTML5 does *not* aim to be backwards compatible with HTML 4 (as HTML
4 is specified). The aim to make HTML5 UAs compatible with existing
Web content and to make conforming HTML5 documents degrade with some
grace in notable existing browsers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi