Re: style attribute, only on font?

> On 30-Nov-07, at 10:14 AM, Martin Atkins wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Karl Dubost wrote:
>>> though if we do that we really should find a way to strongly
>>> discourage its use (and the use of its DOM attribute)
>>> for non-WYSIWYG authors.
>> Wait.  Discourage use of node.style.propName?  In favor of what,
>> exactly?
>
> I don't to speak for whoever wrote that in the spec, but I believe
> that some are suggesting that it's better to twiddle the value of
> node.className and have the actual style rules in a stylesheet.

That's all well and good in theory but I believe that most effects
libraries rely on node.style.propName to do their thing. Secondly
Joseph Smarr gave a talk on high performance JS and one of the things
that he says is to avoid dynamic CSS-class definitions (that is adding
classes at run time). Droping support for node.style is going to hurt
a lot of people.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1041101
http://josephsmarr.com/2007/07/25/high-performance-javascript-oscon-2007/