Re: Proposal for developing HTML 5 materials for Web *authors*

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2007, at 10:21 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>> Some issues arose during the F2F and corridors discussions.
>>
>> * Shall the syntax style be stricter than the one recommended by HTML
>> 5 specification.
>>  example:
>
> It may be a good idea to recommend some style guidelines. However, I'm
> not sure this should necessarily be mixed with an intro for authors.
> For example, when it comes to quoting attribute values, HTML coding
> styles might recommend either always quoting or always omitting the
> quotes when possible; which is preferred is largely a matter of taste.
>
> I'd draw the comparison with if statements in C. Some insist on using
> braces even around single-line if conditions, like so:
>
> if (foo) {
>     bar();
> } else {
>     baz();
> }
>
> Others insist on omitting braces whenever possible:
>
> if (foo)
>     bar();
> else
>     baz();
>
> As far as I'm concerned, either coding style is valid, so long as a
> given code base is consistent. The same goes for quoting attribute
> values. It could be argued that skipping unnecessary quotes makes
> markup less noisy and therefore easier to read.
>
> In ay case, even if an introduction for authors recommends a
> particular coding style, it should draw the distinction between coding
> style conventions and actual document conformance requirements, just
> as Kernighan & Ritchie's famous book does the equivalent for C.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

Why would it be a good idea to encourage people to omit quotes around
attribute values, when this method would only be suitable for *one* of
the *three* serialisations of (X)HTML5 ?

application/xhtml+xml (XHTML)
application/xml (XHTML)
text/html (HTML)

Surely it would be better to have just the one method that works with
all serialisations and get everyone to use that.
Otherwise we end up with web tools (WYSIWYG editors and CMSs etc) that
only generate markup suitable for text/html.

Regards,
Dean Edridge