Re: Proposal for developing HTML 5 materials for Web *authors*

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:29:28 +0100, Dean Edridge <dean@55.co.nz> wrote:
>> My point is this: in regards to the quoting of attributes there
>> doesn't need to be two or more different ways to write up a (X)HTML
>> document. Of course, I don't have a problem with authors leaving out
>> the namespace attribute when intending to author in text/html as this
>> is easily altered later if someone wanted to convert the document to
>> XHTML.
>
> Differences on the syntax level are all easily altered later using
> something like html5lib.

Altered by who? There will be over 6 Billion people using the web soon
(at least that's the way it should be), will they all have access to
html5lib, and if so, will they know how to use it?
But there is no need to go there, that's my point, there doesn't have to
be as many differences as there are.

What if I want to copy some of your markup from one of your HTML5 sites
and paste it into one of my XHTML5 sites. Since you insist on using no
quotes around attributes and no solidus in the void elements (which
historically is fine in HTML) it wouldn't work would it?
You are probably thinking: "Why should I change my markup style?" and
yeah, that would seem a fair comment at first.
But wouldn't it better to just have the one syntax for all markup on the
web?
When we figure out how to use SVG and MATHML in HTML, wont those need to
be in the XML syntax? They will need to be, otherwise how will people
copy and paste SVGs from the W3c site, my site, and other sites into a
text/html site without altering the markup first.

> The problem is more with scripting, CSS differences, etc. Having said
> that, we're trying to reduce the amount of scripting differences and
> the CSS differences can be removed.

Sounds good.

> Also there are things like <style> and <script> which fundamentally
> have different syntax in XML and HTML. You could use some weird
> workarounds there too though, I suppose.

Surely it's not too hard to use:

<script src="js/ufo.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

This has always worked in HTML and XHTML for me.

I don't know why I would need to use some "weird workarounds". Unless
you are referring to document.write and innerHTML.

Thanks,
Dean Edridge