Re: Proposal for developing HTML 5 materials for Web *authors*

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Dean Edridge wrote:
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Anyway, my point is just that I think both ways of writing it are
>>> reasonable in different situations, and should be chosen based on
>>> circumstances.
>>
>> There is a method that is suitable for all circumstances, that's the
>> beauty of (X)HTML5:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>> <head>
>>    <title>Demo</title>
>> </head>
>>       Hello World
>
> While it is easy to produce a trivial document like that which
> conforms to both syntaxes, it becomes much more difficult in practice
> when you have to consider differences in stylesheets, scripting,
> character encoding issues.  It is entirely possible to address each of
> these issues, but it's not always easy.

And what made you think I didn't now that? Did you think I had just
heard of XHTML yesterday or something? :-)
I am well aware of the differences between HTML and XHTML. I've read all
the webpages that inform people about this, including yours, which is
one of the better ones I might add :-)

The point is: there may be, for argument sake, 15 differences between
HTML and XHTML.
Is it not worth the effort to reduce the amount of differences by two or
three?

A lot of differences are easily resolved and not quite the hindrance
that you and other people make them out to be.

Cheers
Dean Edridge