Re: Complex Table Examples

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:38:28 +1000
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Laura Carlson" <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Can we do that *and* continue to have @headers for those that need it?

As I understand it, the proposal is that <th> in the first row and
column are explicitly scoped to the row/column if @scope is omitted.
This seems like a good fallback for UAs to implement. May encourage
laziness in web developers, but if it improves accessibility it is
still worth it. (Be better, perhaps, if authoring tools applied @scope
by default).

I don't understand the arguments for removing @headers though. Isn't
it already implemented in most browsers? There seem enough cases here
to warrant it's continued part in HTML.