Re: Cleaning House

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:24:00 +0200
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak:
> Are the semantics defined solely by the specification
> (Prescriptivism) or informed by actual use (Descriptivism)?

We could employ descriptivism for classes with accepted semantics
based upon extensive observation which values the |class| attribute
gets in the wild and why.

We could also employ limited descriptivism for the redefinition, i.e.
the refinement of previous definitions, of existing element types.

Where people used |i| where they should have used |em| (or |var|, |
cite|, |dfn|) they did not use the language correctly. They should
not be pardoned in retrospective by weakening the distinction. For
all the other cases where phrases, but not sections, have been
enclosed by |i| tags we may try to find out the prevailing reasons,
although most have already been named probably, and invent new
element types for them or assign these semantics to |i| (expressis
verbis). The second option requires less work on all sides, but/
because |i| would remain a wide-purpose element type.

> For human languages, linguists generally take the Descriptivist
> approach. This turns out to be a more productive way to interpret
> artifacts in human languages such as English.

Computer languages tend to be prescribed in a standard, but markup
languages are a border case possibly.