Re: Cleaning House

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> For HTML, there is no significant distinction in attested use between
> <em> and <i>. In practice they are used in the same kinds of contexts.
> However, there is a nominal difference in the spec.

What do you base this on?

I have seen <i> used for a range of things, most commonly to indicate
emphasis or to indicate quoting. In other words my experience has been
that people use it when they want italics which can be desired for a
number of things.

OTOH I haven't seen <em> used nearly as much so I can't really say what
people are using it for. The few uses I have seen though has been by
people that care about semantic correctness and has explicitly wanted to
indicate emphasis.

/ Jonas