Re: Cleaning House

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:02:01 +0200
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Fri, 04 May 2007 11:44:46 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> IMHO...:
>
> (1) What a conforming HTML5 document is, and how it is processed by a
> conforming user agent.
>
> (2) Parsing and processing requirements for non-conforming documents.
>
> If we do not distinguish between these, we are essentially defining a
> *single* language (yes, "tag soup"), and the notion of "conforming
> document" is meaningless in practice.
>
> It seems to me that many over here *want* to make this distinction
> meaningless. In which case I'm asking for to be at least clear about
> that.

Many here want to distinguish between conformance requirements and user
agent requirements. (1) is applicable to the former and (2) is applicable
to the latter (although (2) really is any type of document, you don't
upfront whether it's correct or not).

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>