Re: Cleaning House

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:44:46 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>> If you don't make the processing requirements normative, then UAs can
>>> just implement whatever they like and claim conformance.  That
>>> doesn't help anyone at all, it just leaves us with the same situation
>>> we're in now.  We're trying to fix the problem, not just ignore it.
>>
>> If the processing requirements are written and agreed upon, and
>> implemented by Apple/MS/Mozilla/Opera, it really makes no difference
>> in practice what normative status they have.
>
> Good specifications must contain normative requirements.
>
> http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1140242962&count=1
>
>> What's *essential* is that an author of a *conforming* document can
>> rely on a well-defined behavior. If an author chooses to produce
>> non-conforming documents, that's her/his choice.
>
> No, what is essential is that users who visit web sites, regardless of
> whether the site is conforming or not, can rely on it rendering in their
> browser, the same as it would in any other.

It seems to me that it would be great if there was a common
understanding of what exactly the WG is supposed to specify.

IMHO...:

(1) What a conforming HTML5 document is, and how it is processed by a
conforming user agent.

(2) Parsing and processing requirements for non-conforming documents.

If we do not distinguish between these, we are essentially defining a
*single* language (yes, "tag soup"), and the notion of "conforming
document" is meaningless in practice.

It seems to me that many over here *want* to make this distinction
meaningless. In which case I'm asking for to be at least clear about that.

Best regards, Julian