Re: a quote is a quote is a quote [was Re: Cleaning House]

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:35:00 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org

aloha, jason!

thank you for your reasoned and rapid response...  i apologize for
overlooking your contribution to the thread, but as i think we can
all agree, it takes a lot of time and effort to plow through all
the mail one receives daily from public-html

i think that the questionable semantic qualities of BLOCKQUOTE is
one issue we will have to agree to disagree upon, at least at this

BLOCKQUOTE is already "half" deprecated, anyway:

The usage of BLOCKQUOTE to indent text is deprecated in favor of
style sheets.

since the HTML WG's charter explicitly states that the group's
scope includes the development of:

A language evolved from HTML4 for describing the semantics of
documents and applications on the World Wide Web. This will be a
complete specification, not a delta specification.

why not use the opportunity to deprecate BLOCKQUOTE altogether?
all i am trying to do is to evolve a stronger, more flexible Q

Q, aside, i am interested in your reaction to the other
presentational elements i listed:

  * B (bold)
  * BIG
  * I (italics)
  * SUB (subscript)
  * SUP (superscript)
  * TT

do you agree that only for SUB and SUP can a semantic meaning be
posited?  BIG and SMALL are obviously presentational, as is B, I
and TT...

what say you?

Chaos is a name for any order that produces confusion in our minds.
                                                -- George Santayana
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net