Re: Support Existing Content

On May 2, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Philip & Le Khanh wrote:

> Maurice wrote:
>
> > Isn't it possible to use the object/embed tag to insert an image
> and have
> > the fallback content/text within?
> >
> > <object src="photo.jpg">this is a photo</object>
>
> Yes : the real problem is that the prose is touching its
> forelock to accessibility (by pretending that the image is
> secondary to the text), whereas it really needs to be up-front
> and say that the image is primary, falling back to text if the
> image cannot be displayed for whatever reason.  Just as
> accessible, and infinitely more in line with reality.

I agree with your sentiment and commented along the same lines on the
WHATWG list. One particular example is personal photographs - almost
always when you show someone a photo you took, it is the primary
content and can't be considered a mere alternative to some text. The
text will be an imperfect substitute.

Regards,
Maciej