Re: User agent requirements and document conformance (was: Re: Cleaning House)

Hi Patrick,

On May 3, 2007, at 1:15 AM, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Quoting Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>:
>
>> So I'd like to know if your argument is about some of the current
>> elements allowed by the specification such as <b> or if it is about
>> user agents requirements in the parsing section, rendering
>> section, et
>> cetera. There is a line between those two which I think is useful to
>> clearly mark.
>
> It's the former. I don't have an issue if browsers feel the need to
> like <font>. But I do feel that the spec shouldn't allow those
> elements, and instead - where necessary - define better elements
> that cover those situations in which these elements are used as a
> last presentational resort.

I think the exact set of elements considered conforming for use is
much more open to debate for WHATWG participants than the set of
elements that browsers must support. Given this, are you ok with
accepting compatibility constraints for user agents, adopting HTML5
as the starting point, and then focusing on refining the set of tags
for document authors?

Regards,
Maciej