Re: Support Existing Content

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:07:44 -0700
Cc: matt@builtfromsource.com, public-html@w3.org
To: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>

On May 2, 2007, at 2:10 PM, Gareth Hay wrote:

> I'm not trying to make lives easier on any side.
> The web is a mess, even you concede this point with your rantings
> about external advertising content.
> Do you want it to continue like this? or do you want to pro-
> actively fix it?

What's the point of "fixing the web" if it doesn't make anyone's
lives easier? This is a totally serious question - a lot of people
seem to be advocating the forcing of valid markup regardless of
whether it helps or hurts people. Surely the reason for abstract
goals like use of conforming markup is to have good concrete effects.

Regards,
Maciej