Re: Support Existing Content

On Wed, 02 May 2007 11:03:27 +0200, Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com> wrote:
> it doesn't ignore it - these sytems will *not* overnight suddenly
> declare themselves to be sending html5 compliant code.
> I don't agree that using content from differing sources is like black
> magic, and the problems that you mention originate from the poor error
> handling of previous versions of html anyway.

Why do you believe that a new version will magically overcome all the
engineering problems? Implementations of HTML5 will still have bugs, both
browsers and content. I think there's far more evidence that an
incremental evolvement of HTML will be successful (it's already happening,
it works for CSS, SVG, etc.) than that major breakage will work (XHTML2).

In fact, I thought the HTML WG was about incremental evolution of HTML as
opposed to breaking backwards compatibility for no good reason. (This is
certainly true for the WHATWG, which is way some of your comments there
may have been dismissed.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>