Re: Rethinking HTML 5

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 19:41:57 +1000
To: Jeff Cutsinger <jeff@cutsinger.org>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Jeff Cutsinger wrote:
> Ok. Let's use an example: the new video element. Whether you like it or
> not is irrelevant. This is about backwards compatibility.
>
> <video src='my.mov'></video>
>
> Obviously, that's not going to display my.mov in existing browsers
> (unless they're farther along than I expected, but let's just use IE. It
> certainly won't). BUT, the nice thing is, whatever's inside is fallback
> content. So,
>
> This is what we mean by backwards compatibility.

You're talking about graceful degradation.  Backwards compatibility in
this context refers to maintaining compatibility with existing components.

Some examples of non-backwards compatible changes would be renaming an
be a list header, instead of a form control label.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/