Re: Support Existing Content

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:01:53 -0700
Cc: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>, W3C List <public-html@w3.org>, "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
To: Gareth Hay <gazhay@gmail.com>

On May 1, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Gareth Hay wrote:

> To address the point I do understand, I agree, no one is perfect,
> but are you really suggest something akin to using a C compiler to
> take some pseudo code input and attempt to produce executable code,
> by hook or crook?

A C compiler runs on the developer's machine. This is different from
content produced by one party and consumed by many others using a
variety of tools, where there is more benefit to being lenient in
what you accept. More importantly, in such cases it is important to
define the error behavior so that it is consistent, to avoid the
reverse engineering arms race that we've had for HTML error handling
in the past.

Regards,
Maciej