Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:57:37 -0700
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, public-html@w3.org
To: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>

On May 1, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:

> It would be more helpful to talk in terms of the design patterns,
> e.g. the utility of model-view-controller for decoupling UI from
> the data and the benefits that brings to expressing integrity
> constraints and data submission.

If you want to look at it from a design pattern perspective: The
architecture of the web is best summarized as Representational State
Transfer (REST), where the server hosts the model (a collection of
resources) and what's sent to the client is a representations of
particular resources, i.e. views.

That being said: I do see that XForms better supports a model-view
separation by having direct support for a separate model, as opposed
to HTML forms where an author would have to build his own model and
attach it to controls in an ad-hoc way. But I haven't seen any
proposal to add such features to HTL Forms. In particular, XForms
Transitional does not appear to include any additional support for
model-view separation.

Regards,
Maciej