Re: Rethinking HTML 5 (Was: Re: Semicolon after entities)

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:00:41 -0500
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
CC: tina@greytower.net, www-html@w3.org, public-html@w3.org

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> This seems to be the source of contention in the current debate.  For
> the spec to be implementable, it needs to define conformance
> requirements for UAs, including error handling and how to handle both
> existing and future content.

Perhaps if those implementation conformance constraints were defined in
a separate specification, it would help to clearly divide the issue?  In
the case of XHTML 2 the plan was always to have an implementors guide
that went along with it to provide the sort of information I think you
are talking about; but without confusing the authoring community with a
lot of data that, frankly, is very domain specific.