Re: Support Existing Content

Gareth Hay wrote:

> I don't understand the issue.
>
> Surely any browser manufacturer is always going to have a mode that will
> render older pages.
> What is preventing them having an HTML5 mode, which may or may not build
> upon their previous engine.
>
> That way, you visit a page that you used to (google, bank, etc) browser
> uses 'old' mode.
> You visit an HTML5 page, browser uses the new mode.
>
> Why is this a problem?

I'm absolutely certain (100%) that it is /not/ a problem,
except in the minds of those who would like it perceived
as such.  HTML5 is the first real opportunity we have to
incorporate all the lessons we have learned from earlier
versions of HTML, and to ensure that adjunct technologies
(DOM, CSS, Scripting, etc.) are properly catered for.

To jeopardise this opportunity by insisting that the
browser use the same parsing/rendering algorithms for legacy
("tag soup") documents as for new ("well formed") documents
is insane, IMHO.

Philip Taylor