Re: Versioning and the end user

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:37:49 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Mike Schinkel wrote:

 > Matthew Ratzloff wrote:
 >> [...] Why not:
 >>
 >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//HTML 5.0//EN">
 >>
 >> Is that really such a bad thing?

 > Yes it is a bad thing.   It can't be remembered by people who don't use
 > it day in and day out. An insignificant number of web authors understand
 > it and the rest just copy and paste it, possibly getting it wrong, or
 > worse just don't include it (I know I've been in that latter category.)
 >
 > This can be easily remembered and hence people will use it correctly far
 > more often:
 >      <!DOCTYPE html>

The only people who need to remember "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//HTML 5.0//EN">"
are those who hand-code; these form a tiny proportion of the overall
web authoring community, and are -- in the main -- sufficiently
informed to have no difficulty in remember what is required.

Everyone else will use an authoring tool, and that tool should
be configurable to emit the correct DOCTYPE for whatever class
of document the author requests.

Philip Taylor