Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 17:05:10 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>

On 30 Jun 2007, at 16:50, Ben Boyle wrote:

> I apologise for not "making a use case" at this point. I look forward
> to producing some soon. For now I want to let you ponder why we
> propose different fallback mechanisms...
> - nothing for embed
> - text only (@alt) for img
> - HTML for video, audio, object

Simply: backwards-compatibility. |embed| could have an attribute
added to it (but its content model can't be changed without breaking
all current UAs). |img| similarly can't have its content model
changed. The rest of the elements can have such things in backwards
compatible ways (|video| and |audio| due to HTML's handling of
unknown elements, and |object| because it is already implemented in
that way).

- Geoffrey Sneddon